Saturday, October 31, 2015

A Character a Day 有



Video script:



Good morning my friend. In this video we are going to talk about this character 有.  It has the meaning like 'to have' or 'to exist'. I will show you how to write it first.
One of the old writing style looks like this. The top part refers to a right hand, and the bottom part refers to a big chunk of meat. For the ancient people, to have a big chunk of meat was a big deal. That showed they did HAVE a fortune. 
The most frequent usage of 有 is that it works the same way as the English word 'to have'. Such as, I have many good books. 我有很多好书。 我 I, 有 have, 很多 many, 好 good, 书 book.
Another frequent usage of 有is that it works like the 'there be' sentence in English.
For example, there are many good books in the library.
图书馆有很多好书。
图书馆 library, 有 there be or exist, 很多 many, 好书 good book.
That's all for today. I will see you soon. Thanks for watching.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.